Ambassador ScholarsAmbassador applications due 11/15 each year
L to R: Karly Marshman, Emily Hiller, Emma Rose Wegner, Shala Peters, Hannah Bush, Damian Hill. Top row L to R: Bailey Jordan, Courtney Livecchi, Zachary Boekeloo, Faith Clancy, Alexis Payne, William Britt, Ellie Ainslie, Molly Gildea.
NYS Agricultural Society Foundation Ambassadors are leaders-in-training, soon to inherit guardianship of the agricultural and food industry and the weight of ensuring a profitable, sustainable course for the industry’s diverse stakeholders. Ambassadors are 18-25 years old, eager to sharpen their professional skills, learn and connect. They’re college students or newly employed actively investigating a future in agriculture. An Ambassador experience can help shape academic, research and career paths. In addition to attending the NYS Ag Society Annual Forum, Ambassadors also participate in a summer leadership experience conducted each July. In 2019, Ambassadors toured farming operations in the greater Saratoga region including Hand Melon Farm, King Brothers Dairy, McMahon Thoroughbreds of Saratoga, and Saratoga Sod.
2020 Ambassadors participated in 3 days of professional development activities from January 8-10. All registration fees were waived, and overnight accommodations were provided at the Holiday Inn, Syracuse, site of the 2020 Forum. Ambassadors will take part in the following:
- CALS at Cornell University and Witter Museum panel presentations
- 2020 Annual Meeting & Forum paired with an industry mentor to assist with introductions, share career experiences and field questions
- Workshop 1: Behind the Scenes of the Peterson Farm Brothers and their social media advocacy platform
- Workshop 2: LEAD NY program and career exploration
Our 2020 Ambassador class includes:
• 13 college students representing Cornell University, SUNY Cobleskill, SUNY Oswego, Iowa State University, Skidmore College, Canisius College, Cazenovia College, SUNY Morrisville studying agricultural business, geosciences, finance, communications, and plant/animal/agricultural sciences.
• Employment by Cornell Cooperative Extension, NYS State Assembly, Farm Credit East
• Over 75% are 19 to 20 years old