For New York State agriculture to remain vibrant and successful, a next generation of farmers is needed to work the land, plant crops, raise livestock, and feed our population. Fortunately there are dedicated people of varying ages and backgrounds who are doing just that! This award is designed to recognize the young, new farmer, the retiree starting a second career, and the next generation on an existing farm.
- building awareness of the accomplishments of successful next generation farmers in New York State,
- connecting next generation farmers with the New York State Agricultural Society as a resource and a professional network, and
- recognizing excellence for next generation farmers.
Recognition and Award
Award recipient(s) will be recognized at the NYS Agricultural Society Annual Forum in January.
FreedMaxick CPAs and The Voss Group
To be considered for this award a next generation farmer, farm couple, or farm partners must:
- have owned or operated a farm for no less than 5 years, and no more than 15 years in New York State;
- generate at least 50% of their gross income from production agriculture;
- have started a new farm, or be the primary next-generation operator(s) on an existing farm that has successfully transitioned from one generation to the next – whether or not within the same family;
- be an individual, couple, partners in the farm business
Submit application below by September 1st.
How to submit a nomination
Can be completed by the next generation farmer(s) or be a nomination of a next generation farmer(s).